You never know what you may encounter on mountain trails
While we continue to see people walking along on mountain trails in flip-flops (although they aren’t carrying 30lb backpacks of photo gear), here is our “must have” items list for mountain areas:
- A variety of clothes for different weather extremes – rainsuit (Gortex preferred), even a winter coat, hat and gloves
- Platypus backpack w 4 liter bladder – great way to handle drinking water, bring plenty on hikes (in the last two years, to redistribute weight, we leave the Platypus in the car and each carry at least a 1-liter bottle of water in our photo backpacks)
- Good hiking boots (Gortex a plus)
- Convertible hiking pants (legs zip off to give you shorts; lots of pockets)
- Hat that provides good sun protection
- Hiking poles
- Mole Skin, Band-Aid Advanced Healing Blister bandages or similar for blisters (double socks and/or the use of a product called “Body Glide” are excellent in preventing blisters)
- Sunscreen – the air is thinner at higher altitudes, and you burn more easily
We’ll post our preferred photo equipment list in the future.
If you think we missed something, please post your “must have” items!